Thursday, December 10, 2009

Self employed in today's economy...

This is called "The Swan".




Aarona was just 5 when she drew this. I've been looking for some examples of her early 'future primitive' work and I hope to scan and put some up over the next little while.

While I have much on my mind, I don't really have a lot I wish to say. We all have these kinds of days....

One subject that has officially gone from the fringes of my consciousness to the forefront is the economy.

I can only speak of what I know of. And what I know from having talked to quite a few professional associates that there are simply fewer and fewer gigs out there for us working musicians. Oh, people are working and some folks are still quite busy. But, it's nothing like even just last year's Xmas season. I've lost count of how many of my compatriots have expressed frustration and growing anxiety over the increasingly lack of reliable work.

The dreaded 'career change' conversations, not to mention "I may need to get a day job" have been heard from some very surprising sources.

I'd be lying if I claimed to not have thought that exact thing. It's getting a bit scary out there. There's a lot of very talented people struggling. The only silver lining at this point is that Olympic-related gigs are starting to come in, which is a good thing. However, when that's all said and done after about a month of hopefully good feasting, there's probably going to be a nasty hangover to contend with.

All I can do - All anyone can do is keep working at keeping working. I've personally been spending a lot more time honing my studio engineering/production chops. I've also been practicing quite a bit more than I used to. I'm also looking at what other opportunities I can drum up (pardon the pun) within the Music Industry.

It's getting tough though.

No comments: